Fayette Campus Programs and Activities
The Office of International Admissions offers many programs and activities to the international students and scholars at UIU. The activities and programs were developed to assist the international students and scholars to life in the U.S. as well as to provide engaging activities for international students and scholars to share their cultures and experiences with each other and the American UIU community.
Listed below are just a few of the activities that are offered:
- International Culture Night: Held each spring semester, this culturally rich evening event welcomes the UIU community as well as the surrounding communities to campus. The event seeks to highlight and celebrate the diversity of the UIU international population. Activities include (but are not necessarily limited to) international foods, table displays, interactive activities (such as name writing in Japanese, origami, etc.), a fashion show and a talent show.
- Homecoming Parade: International students, staff and faculty represent their countries during the UIU Homecoming Parade each year. Many wear their traditional dress and carry their flag. This opportunity seeks to highlight for the UIU and local community the great diversity present on campus.
- International Education Week: It is a yearly opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is part of our efforts to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences. Examples of past activities offered during this week at UIU are International Trivia Night, UIU World Cup, and Study Abroad Fairs.
- Driver’s License Trips: Offered to students that need to apply for a driver’s license. We will rent a van to take students to the Department of Motor Vehicles in West Union. Trips will be offered twice a semester.
- Social Security Number Trips: Offered to students that need to apply for an SSN. We will rent a van to take students to the Social Security Administration Office in Waterloo. Trips will be offered twice a semester.
- International Student Association (ISA): Students from different nations and cultural background come together to create integration among international students of all races and the university community, as well as to assist the students in the transition into American culture. By organizing this association, we hope to fill gaps between all international students, no matter the country of origin. As an organization we focus on the educational, cultural, and social aspects of university life in order to serve as a connection between International and American Students. ISA will strive to promote and improve international students’ ability to adjust to American life and also to establish an advanced communication channel between the countries.
New activities are being organized all the time. Check the UIU calendar often for a complete schedule of all events across the Fayette campus.
Discover what it means to be a UIU student
Are you interested in learning more about activities on the Fayette Campus? Visit our Activities page.